Saturday, September 24, 2005

One Person's Efforts

One at a time



Here's a note from Cheri:


If you are interested in helping a New Orleans family and know where your money is going, please take a look at this update on a family my daughter thought she could help, then did something. This is the beginning of her quest, I'm not documenting the whole thing, but just the beginning of what she wrote and the update on how its going. Its amazing what happens when we work together.

Dear Family & Friends:This is really important. If you’ve been wondering how to help some of the people who have been displaced by Hurricane Katrina then listen up. There’s a way to help a family directly, to know where your money and material things went, and to know how your contributions impacted them.Just 45 minutes ago I was listening to NPR Radio (89.3) and heard about a family Selwyn & Chiquita Smith who have been relocated to McKinney, Texas as a result of Hurricane Katrina.As soon as I walked in the door I called 411, got the phone number to the Best Western where they were staying and called them. Sure enough, they were registered there. I spoke with Chiquita’s sister-in-law who is also living in the hotel. So far they have gotten their 3 children enrolled in school, and now Selwyn is looking for a job, but he only has 2 pair of shorts. In Louisiana he was a loan officer, and is hoping to find a job in sales or something similar.

-------- Original Message --------
Hello Everyone:I want to update you on what's gone on this last week, and to personally thank everyone for their responses, and to those of you who have given so far. If I have left out anyone’s giving, please shoot me back an email. I’ve heard but not been able to confirm everything.Ca-Trece and I are both busy collecting and packing up NEW & gently used clothing, shoes, accessories and the like. Today I shipped out 3 huge boxes of clothes via UPS, and they should arrive by Wednesday, or Thursday at the latest. I know that Ca-Trece was packing up brand new sneakers, T-shirts and clothes for Mom and the daughter today, so we’ll have more on that later.We’ve gotten emails on donations of everything from money, to gift certificates to clothes to jobs for both Selwyn and Chiquita.

Here’s what I know so far.

FYI: The Target WEDDING Gift Registry is up and working. Please visit and enter the couples name under Bride or Groom. Thanks.

----------Thanks to Lena Cole Dennis and Karen Earl of the Jenesse Center for FedExing a $300 Sam’s Club/Walmart Gift Certificate.

Dear Crystal: We are sending by fed ex $300 in gift cards for Walmart/Sam's Club.-

---------Thanks for Fleace' of BlackWeekly.com for suggesting I use Evite, and for sending out a blast to all of BlackWeekly and for offering space on the site to add photos, and messages from our donors.

I have all the space you need! :-) You can set-up an evite and list everything that is needed, with a link to PayPal (you must setup an account for the smiths). Then when people RSVP they can list what they a buying, evite will need track of the list. If you need me to help, just call!––Fleace'


----------Thanks to Donna Brown for shopping for the family at Pottery Barn.

----------Thanks to Rena Braud:

Hi Crystal, Good to hear from you!! I will send them items needed via the Target Registry. Please have Selwyn contact me via phone or email. I can give him Real Estate referrals to jump start his career in TX. Talk with you soon.

----------THANKS Thanks to April Crocket:

Hey Catrece: Exactly what area are they living in? I think you mentioned Frisco. If that is the case, we do have a barbershop/salon called Skillz Salon in Plano (Midway and Park Blvd.) We also have Salon Suites in Frisco called Salon Estetica. She will need to contact the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation to get a Texas Provisional Cosmetologist License. She can go online to:http://www.license.state.tx.us/ and download the form or call 1-800-803-9202 or (512) 463-6599.
The contact person for our salons is Eric Nichols (214) 801-1892 and he would know what we have available. Take Care, April

----------Thanks to Kibi Anderson:

I posted a donation in the amount of $75.00 to go towards helping the Selwin & Chiquita Smith Family on the Jenesse Center web-site.

----------Thanks to Kathy Blount:

Let me know the details, and I'll send them cash.

----------Thanks to Kevin Harbour: I've got stuff to give now.

----------Thanks to Regina Kynard:

Hi Crystal: It's Regina. Let me know the details on sizes needed for the family and I will gladly assist. Thanks for including me and anyway that I can I will help that family. ––Peace and Love to you and yours!

----------Thanks to Joseph Duncan:

I have suits and shirts that should fit Selwyn as well as ties. I have given away most of my daughter's to small or otherwise unneeded clothes to a drive here last week but I may have a little more.

Forgive me if I skimmed over it but could you email me with the best way to get these things to them? Also, I don't have any direct contacts but I know Wells Fargo has a big mortgage presence in Texas. He can post (or re-create) his resume online at http://www.blogger.com/ http://www.wellsfargo.com/ and also view any openings in the area.

.... More pictures of the family will be available here or on their yahoo site (I'll post the address) by the end of the weekend. Please check back.
Sincerely,Crystal

..................................................

Crystal A. WrightAgency Director

Crystal@CrystalAgency.com

http://www.crystalagency.com/

Representing the best in Photography, Makeup, Hair & Fashion Styling


Crystal Agency

4237 Los Nietos DriveLos Angeles, CA 90027-2911
Main: 323.906.9600

Fax: 323.913.0900

Cell: 323.788.1336
--

No comments: